Cars with feathers, cars with teeth, cars that give a whole new meaning to Vorsprung durch Technik. We’ve avoided art cars constructed solely for festivals – these 21 bad boys can be found on the road, so keep your eyes open. Yep, it really is possible to drive a swan!
1.Cool cruiser photographed at the Red Lion Run Car Show.
2. Crazy 3-D Mondrian photographed at the Art Car Fest 2006 in San Jose. Sort of like a Rubix Cube on wheels.
3. Customized Ford truck pictured at the Heavy Rebel Weekender, a 3 day festival in North Carolina celebrating music, bikes and cars, and featuring mud wrestling and a beer chugging contest.
4.An RV clowning around in a carpark in Sweden.
5.The safest way to use your phone whilst driving.
6.Commissioned in 1909 by eccentric Calcutta millionaire Robert Nicholl Mattewson, the Swan car was hand carved from wood and covered with plaster. It has eyes that glow in the dark, a beak that sprays scalding water to clear a passage through congested streets, and it can even poo on the pavement!
7. Flashy van entirely covered with old cameras rigged to take candid pictures of people who don’t realise they work! See cameravan.com for more details.
8. Designed by Harrod Blank, the man behind the cameravan above, the stereo system and all the instruments on this car work and are designed to be played. So if you don’t like the music where you’re at, make your own!
9. Proof that customized cars can deliver an important message, this one traces the origin and significance of redheads!
10.Cuasimodo is a celebration that takes place in Santiago, Chile, on the first Sunday after Easter. It commemorates a time when Chilean cowboys had to protect the priests that were travelling around giving communion to people unable to get to church. Nowadays, people decorate their bikes, horse-carriages and other vehicles, and parade around the district.
11. Scary but cute – a cheeky little monster photographed at the Art Car Fest 2006 in San Jose
12. Although it may look like something out of Star Trek, this crazy beast was cruising along in South Side, New York, apparently blasting the Electric Slide out its stereo.
13.Bad-ass truck rod caught at the Goodguys southwest nationals in 2009.
14.Eco friendly “transport pod” built from different types of wood, weighing only 450 kg and containing a 2CV engine which helps it achieve very efficient mileage.
15. Summer rollin’ in South Beach, Miami.
16. If you can cruise down the street in a car like that, then you truly are beyond boundaries.
17. Sexy futuristic street rod shot at the Richmond Nationals, 2008.
18.Don’t slam the door too hard, you never know what might happen! Photo taken in the West Village, New York,
19. No car is truly complete until it has a picture on its bonnet of a half naked woman toting a revolver.
20. Lego car parked outside a grocery store. Obviously!
21.The only thing missing here is a time travel button. But, what happens if you push the question mark?